At this time, persons imprisoned for debt were allowed to be in an area designated as the “prison bounds.” The “prison bounds” were probably High St. to the west, Ward St. to the north, Reynolds St. to the south and perhaps to the east edge of town, basically the city limits. During the year or so of his confinement Simon Kenton frequently walked this area with a long walking staff. It is said that even when his daughter Elizabeth died, he had to observe her burial in the Old Graveyard just north of Ward St. without crossing the street.
Some years later the Kentucky Legislature remitted the charges against Kenton. The original jail served until 1832 when a new jail was built near the current courthouse. On April 14, 1832, the original jail building was auctioned off to Matthew Magrew and John Owen for $390.
The Champaign County Historical Museum is a not-for-profit organization that depends upon donations and dues to preserve, protect, archive and display the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The free public museum located at 809 E. Lawn Ave., Urbana, is open to the public Tues. - Fri. 10-4 and Sat. 10-2.
Elisha was elected Champaign County Commissioner in October 1818. This was the first county election after Logan County to the north and Clark County to the south were established and Champaign County was reduced to its current limits in 1817. Around this same time Mr. Berry was one of the associate judges during the administration of President Judge Swan.
“The Justices bench was composed of one President Judge, supposed to be learned in the law, and three Associate Justices, taken from the body of the county, and selected for their good sense and integrity rather than for their legal requirements.” (W.H. Beers, The History of Champaign County, 1881).
Thomas H. Berry, a son of Elisha C. Berry, established a grocery business in Urbana in 1845. Upon his death in 1879 the business was managed by his eldest son, Thomas C. Berry. Upon Thomas C. Berry’s death, the business was managed by his younger brothers William E. & Lou B. Berry.
In 1891 Lou B. Berry became involved in the insurance business with J. R. McDonald in Urbana. Ultimately this business became the L. B. Berry Insurance Agency located at 125 Scioto St., Urbana. Around 1900 Lou B. Berry resided in the house at 413 Scioto St. built by his grandfather.
The Champaign County Historical Society would like to express appreciation to Joe Hamilton for sharing information about his house.
The Champaign County Historical Museum, a not-for-profit organization that depends upon donations and dues to preserve, protect, archive and display the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The free public museum located at 809 E. Lawn Ave., Urbana, is open to the public Tues. - Fri. 10-4 and Sat. 10-2.
Looking Back at Champaign County
The Champaign County Historical Society strives to highlight historical people, places and events throughout Champaign County. If you have photos of historical significance that you believe would be of interest to Champaign Countians, please Contact Us.