Then – This is a circa 1910 postcard street scene (#A1030) looking east on Scioto Street from the intersection with Happersett Street. The stone post on the left edge of the photo marks the driveway entrance to the large house that is midway between Scioto and East Court streets. This is likely the same post visible in the Now photo. Note the stone bridge over the ditch that runs on the north side of the street. Horse and buggies are traveling the unpaved street.
Now – This is a 2019 photo of the same location. Automobiles now travel the paved street versus horse and buggies in 1910.
The Champaign County Historical Museum is a not-for-profit organization that depends upon donations and dues to preserve, protect, archive and display the artifacts that tell the Champaign County story. The free public museum, 809 East Lawn Ave., Urbana, is open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays.
Then – This is a circa 1937 photo (CCHS #0134) of the north side of the 100 block of Scioto Street in Urbana. Moore's Business College was at 100 Scioto Street. In the next building was located Parllete Electric Company at 104 Scioto Street and Miami Granite Co. at 106 Scioto Street and Dr. Poffenberger, Dentist, at 106 1/2 Scioto Street. Note decorative street lamp at corner of the alley entrance.
Now – 2018 photo of same location which is now occupied by the Peoples Savings Bank. Note the street lamp here as compared to the one in 1937.
The Champaign County Historical Society is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization that preserves, protects, archives and displays the artifacts that tell Champaign County’s History. The Society operates on donations and dues and has a free public museum of history at East Lawn Avenue in Urbana
Looking Back at Champaign County
The Champaign County Historical Society strives to highlight historical people, places and events throughout Champaign County. If you have photos of historical significance that you believe would be of interest to Champaign Countians, please Contact Us.